Monday, July 7, 2008

Tomatoes (aka-Experiment)

Tomatoes in Georgia during a drought on a very shaded lot. These are our conditions. I dealt with the rocky, clay (and root-filled) soil by using beautiful 5 gallon buckets.
The experienced gardeners on the Garden Web Forum scoffed at using them, saying their wasn't enough room for roots and that production would be very limited because of it. To make it worse, we chose the wrong type of potting soil. Instead of getting stuff specifically for containers we didn't. We got the kind that compacts more. Now I did mix it with some of our compost soil, so maybe that's how we've been so fortunate--thus far. They aren't spectacular, but I do have tomatoes on every one of the six plants. Two plants had a run-in with deer, but the deer left the fruit. So should be enjoying a few fresh tomatoes on our salad in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Search My Blog