Saturday, August 9, 2008

My Divine Sandwich

As the boys and I left for our walk this morning, we noticed that a deer sampled our most lovely and largest tomato just as it had become tinged pink. Once we returned I picked the remainder of it off of the vine. Since it was a good-sized one there was still plenty of the tomato left, so I decided to make fried green tomatoes. But plain ones wouldn't do because the fried green tomato sandwich at Last Resort is my favorite. So I went to work re-creating a new version. The results were so tasty that I had to make one for Scott when he came home--so he'd believe how wonderful it was.

And the recipe for anyone interested.
First, the fried green tomatoes.
1/4 c. soy milk cornmeal
1/2 t. lemon juice flour
1 large green tomato, sliced oil (low smoking point)
Combine milk and lemon juice and let set a few minutes. Combine equal parts cornmeal and flour (2-3 T each should do for 1 large tomato.) Heat some oil in an iron skillet between medium and medium-high. Dip green tomato slices into milk mixture, then dredge in the cornmeal mixture. Add to hot skillet and fry until browned on each side. Add more oil as needed. Drain on paper towels.

Next, fry several slices of Vidalia onions in Earth Balance (or butter) until they have softened and begin to brown. Set aside.

Then the Sweet Vidalia "Bacony" Dressing.
1-2 T Vidalia onion, minced 2 t. apple cider vinegar
1 c. Vegenaise (or other mayo) few teaspoons Silk
1t. brown sugar 4 drops liquid smoke
Combine all ingredients and stir well.

Spread the dressing on two slices of bread. Layer one slice with the fried green tomatoes, then the Vidalia onions. Cover with the second slice. And voila!

No comments:

Search My Blog