skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Fort Mantanzas
Monday we ventured south about 15 miles to Fort Mantanzas, where the Spanish soldiers guarded the southern river approach. We took a pontoon boat across the barrier waters to the small island where the fort is located. The boys, Bradford, in particular, really enjoyed the boat ride. And while we were at the fort looking out at the water, we all got to see several female dolphins jumping in the water!! After thoroughly exploring the fort and taking in a wealth of information from the wonderful Spanish soldier (interpreter), we helped the boys complete their work to become Junior Park Rangers then walked the nature trail.
The fort as seen from the boat--much smaller than Castillo de San Marcos
Bradford worked hard in the cold wind to earn his Junior Park Ranger badge.
This soldier was full of knowledge--history, marine life, birds. If it was about or lived near the fort, he could tell you all about it.
Bradford didn't think that he'd sleep very well here.
The desk in the same room
This is the observation deck accessible only by a narrow ladder, which I happily got to skip since I was the babywearer.
Me with Cora asleep on my back. She's so go-with-the-flow.
Along the nature trail, McCance wants a picture with a palm tree.
View of the barrier waters from the nature trail
We didn't stay here long since it was very windy.
Along the boardwalk trail through the maritime forest
The variety of textures in this palm were amazing.
I will add my other St. Augustine area restaurant recommendation here. The Gypsy Cab Company. Pretty basic food, but homemade and full of flavor. Their house dressing is fabulous. I bought a bottle just so I can try to duplicate it at home.
Blogs That Make Me Hungry
1 comment:
Great pictures.
Post a Comment